Park Clean Ups 26 and 27 June
26 & 27 June 2021
NORA makes an important contribution to the maintenance of our public spaces. This is what we did in our parks and streets in May 2021. All this is made possible by the subscriptions and donations we receive. Here is a breakdown of the improvement of parks and public spaces provided by and arranged by NORA.
Park Clean Ups 26 and 27 June
26 & 27 June 2021
You and your family are invited to participate in a clean up of Cheltondale Park and The Gardens Conservancy. Meet at The Gardens Conservancy at the African Street entrance to obtain bags and gloves any time between 09h00 and 15h00 on Saturday 26 June and Sunday 27 June. The more the merrier. Make a day or weekend of it. Share this event with friends on Facebook ( Saturday, 26th June & Sunday, 27th June)
Help us protect Pretoria Street Bridge Park from illegal dumping
17 August 2020
NORA has had a long and positive relationship with City Parks in protecting and maintaining our neighbourhood’s parks.
We have previously signed MOU’s with City Parks for The Gardens Conservancy and Norwood Park. In both these green spaces NORA has been meticulous in honouring these agreements, and in working with City Parks in preserving these green assets.
In 2019 Oaklands joined the Norwood Orchards Residents Association, which was then renamed the Norwood Oaklands Residents Association. Since then NORA’s activities have extended to include parks in the Oaklands area. We have been active in trying to clean up and maintain the Pretoria Street Bridge Park, located between Pretoria Street and Hilson Street, Oaklands.
The photo on the right is of a recent clean up.
Unfortunately illegal dumping in the park is making it increasingly difficult for us to do this.
These are some recent photos of the state of the park:
We have sadly come to the conclusion that the only way to prevent and control illegal dumping is by fencing the park. Our proposal is as follows:
· Fence between property walls on the north-west corner and Pretoria Street Bridge, with a vehicle and pedestrian gate.
· Fence between the Pretoria Street Bridge along Pretoria Street, and then continuing on Hilson Street with pedestrian gates on Pretoria Street and Hilson Street, and a vehicle gate on Hilson Street.
This may be illustrated as follows:
Led by Trevor Lunt, we've made remarkable progress in raising funds for this, but we still need to raise R20,000 more. Any donation is welcome, and can be made into our account using "RiverFence" as a reference:
Norwood Oaklands Residents Association
FNB - Cheque Account
Branch Code: 254 005
Account Number: 62623487619
Celebrate our remarkable transformation of Norwood Park
03 June 2020
We know that our neighbourhood has problems, but it’s easy to forget the progress we have made. Have a look at the remarkable transformation of Norwood Park over the last 6 years from an unloved and dirty public space, to one of our city’s most beautiful. This has been achieved through the hard work of a handful of volunteers led by NORA. Sadly, our ability to continue this work is under threat. With the inability to hold Love Norwood Day this year we won’t be able to raise the funds to continue park maintenance. We’re calling on residents and businesses who have benefited from this remarkable transformation to dig deep and pay their subs or make a donation. Every Rand makes a difference. Visit https://www.lovenorwood.com/get-involved/
Love Norwood Day was a blast!
30 October 2019
Our neighbourhood celebrated Love Norwood Day on Sunday 27 October. Locals and visitors enjoyed a pop up market, food stalls, and great entertainment.
The artist line-up was amazing: SA's Got Talent winner Johnny Apple, the legendary Cindy Alter, and then the amazing Lyla & Ben. They had the audience eating out of their hands and screaming for more!
Perhaps the highlight of the day was watching South Africa beat Wales in a nail-biting Rugby World Cup semi-final match. The atmosphere was electric!
But, most importantly, the day raised over R25,000, which allows us to continue maintaining and beautifying Norwood Park.
Our sponsors made this all possible. We thank: CAP, Pam Golding, City Net, Medi-Response, Ndawo Yummy, Urban Village Norwood, and Super-A Norwood SPAR.
Norwood Park Improvements
22 October 2017
Following our hugely successful Love Norwood Day, we have implemented a number of improvements in Norwood Park.
· Bird boxes have been placed in trees. These were bought from funds raised at the last yoga in the park session hosted by African Kemetic Yoga.
· Treated poles have been placed on the Henrietta Road pavement. This has been done to prevent cars from damaging the pedestrian path, and also to discourage car owners from using this as a spot to dump rubbish from their vehicles. In the week since the poles have been up we have noticed a significant improvement in the cleanliness of the pavement. Our future plans include landscaping the pavement with water-wise plants.
· A 7.5m clear fence has been placed on Ivy Road near the intersection of Grant. This is to prevent patrons of the hawkers from taking shortcuts through the garden beds.
· Plumbing in the ablution blocks has been repaired. We were shocked at the state of the ablution blocks on Love Norwood Day, so in addition to the repair of plumbing our future plans include painting the exterior. A huge thank you to Dave Miller Plumbing who sponsored plumbing material.
We desperately need water-wise to continue filling beds where plants have died off! All donations welcome!
Love Norwood Day Raises R25 000 to Maintain the Park!
Posted 11 August 2016
Norwood Park is a public space at the heart of our community, and NORA employs a gardener to clean and beautify the park twice a week.
This year’s Love Norwood Day, proudly brought to the neighbourhood by the Norwood Orchards Residents Association (NORA) and Community Active Protection (CAP) on Sunday the 31st of July, was a huge success and NORA committed to allocating all profits to the maintenance of the park.
NORA and CAP are committed to improving our public spaces, making our neighbourhood a great place to live. Help to continue building on our successes.
Through the generous support of our sponsors and the hard work of the fundraising committee, the day raised R25,000 for the continued maintenance of Norwood Park which will allow this important work to continue.
NORA has been working hard to clean up Norwood Park. We employ a gardener to landscape the beds and have been driving community initiatives to clean up and beautify this incredible public open space.